Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Have You Prayed Today?

One of the shirts my husband had made for his company simply asks the question, "Have you prayed today"? I'll be honest, some days I have to stop at the end of the day and think, "Did I"? Did I pray today?

Our prayer life is a journey that is constantly changing. I always liked the idea that praying is like picking up the phone and calling a friend, only that friend is God. When I think about it that way it makes it easier on me to accept the times I failed to pray. Our relationships with our friends seem to be very intense, often calling one another, and at other times, a few days go by, weeks, months, maybe years. If the person is a really good friend, it doesn't matter how much time has gone by because you can pick up the conversation right where it left off the last time you spoke. Speaking to God is the same. He is the super great friend that no matter how much time has gone by they genuinely want to know what's going on in your life, they want to hear from you, they want to know what they could do to help. He's that friend that always answers, no matter what time it is or how busy they are.

I have found that my prayer life is sometimes more like, little texts to God throughout the day. As a mom, it's easier that way for me. As soon as I walk out the front door for work, I say, "Good morning, Lord".

 As I'm changing diapers, I may pray for another child to go to sleep. On my way home, I may or may not exasperatedly pray for the driver in front of me to get off of their phone and use their blinker. (That may or may not have happened just today.) When I'm doing the dishes (my LEAST favorite chore), I put a prayer card on the window sill and say the prayer while I'm washing the dishes. Some days I have longer "phone" conversations with God but typically, I'm more of a text message kind of girl.



I like to think that some how my little "text" prayers make up a bigger prayer that was just said slowly throughout the day.




 How about you? Do you "text" pray or "phone call" pray?

No comments:

Post a Comment